How do I print a poster?
The BME Department will begin charging for poster printing services again. For Access: Please email Fallon Fernandes at email@example.com. Include the following information: Department, PI, Poster Title, Size, Number of Pages, Number of Copies
Apply for Access
Please email Fallon Fernandes at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Poster Title
- Number of pages
- Size (width/height) in inches
Once approved a BME Staff member will let you into the room.
Make your Poster
We recommend that you create your poster as a PDF in regular "Letter" size, and let Preview automatically scale up to poster size at print time. You can also generate the PDF as a 36"x46.6" page (the standard size) however the procedure to do this varies depending on your publishing software.
- If you use a full version of Adobe Acrobat, change its settings to "High Quality" or "For Press" instead of the standard.
If you are creating a PDF for a poster that you do not want to be 36"x46" or in "Letter" proportions please see our Custom Sizing Page. This is more complicated, so we recommend sticking to 36x46" if you can.
Our paper options are:
- 36" wide glossy
- 42" wide matte
The printer is located in 48 Cummington Street, room 211 (use your card for access once approved). Please check which roll of paper is currently loaded and change sizes if necessary.
On the Mac provided, use the BME Poster Printer Workstation account.
Open the .pdf file in Preview (which is the default application).
- Make sure all the formatting came out as expected, and also zoom far into the graphics in your poster to make sure that the resolution is high enough for your liking.
- If the PDF doesn't look good on your screen, it won't look good on the printer, so regenerate it at a higher resolution or experiment with settings from your publishing software and make sure you end up with a PDF that you like.
- Go to File on the menu bar, and select Print (or hit Command P). This will open the print options in Preview.
Under the Printer: drop down menu, select "BME Poster Printer".
Under the Presets: drop down menu select your poster's dimensions.
Make sure that a specific size is selected, NOT the Default Size (Letter).
- Click "Print".
Please wait 30 minutes before rolling your poster--the ink can smear even after the 5 minute drying time that the printer imposes.
Contact Eng-IT at email@example.com and include BME Poster Printer in the subject line, or call 617-353-5303 after troubleshooting.
If a user is experiencing issues with the poster printing to one small corner of the page, swap the Length and the Width of the page properties, which is found in page setup.
Out of paper
There should be extras available above the printer; lift the blue lever on the front, right side of the printer and follow the directions to load a new roll. The type of paper to load is High Gloss Photo Paper. If there isn't a stock of rolls available, contact us.
Out of ink
If the printer is only complaining about the ink levels but things still looks OK on paper, let it finish normally and just let us know that it's low. If it refuses to print or prints with faded colors, contact us.